On Fri, 04 Apr 2003 09:30:29 EST, Pierre Abbat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  said:

> But I'd also like to be able to have several encrypted directories on one
> partition, with different keys, such that when I give the key any process
> with the right UID can access them. I might have a cron job that needs access

> to encrypted data.

You need to apply "least privilege" - you don't give the key to any process
that doesn't need it.  In your example, you would make sure that any process
running under UID nnn gets given the key, so that other processes couldn't
do anything even if they *did* access them.

Properly applied, you can even leverage it further - for instance, if your
backup process doesn't have the key tokens, you can safely let it have access
to all the files - it can read the 127 meg of data to back it up in a bitwise
manner, but it can't actually DO anything with the data - this is something
that you can't do in the "give everything the token" model....