On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 13:09:26 +0300, Markus =?UNKNOWN?Q?T=F6rnqvist?= said:
> On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 11:38:05PM -0500, David Masover wrote:

> >scripts, it'd be different, but we're talking about something that I
> >know I'd find a _manual_ use for.  Even if you say that I can set it to
>
> You check it once to see if the kernel has the default names for
> the metas directory. "Oh, bugger, it's changed to METAS, then I guess
> I'll use cd METAS in the furure"
>
> As for scripts it's easy to say `cat`

For bonus points, try writing a bash script fragment that will Do The Right Thing
whether or not the file system in question is Reiser4.

It really sucks when your script does:

cd `cat /sys/names/parent_directory`

only to have it bomb out because cat can't open it.

It sucks even worse if it actually *works* because some b0rked script
had previously done:

mkdir `cat /sys/names/parent_directory`

Don't believe me? I've seen plenty of scripts that will do an 'rm $foo'
where $foo is a parameter passed - so somebody runs the script with

/usr/local/bin/foo -o /dev/null

and later on you're trying to figure out why /dev/null is a 49 megabyte
regular file.. ;)