I use reiserfs but not familiar with the technical details. I'm
wondering if it's possible to use meta tags in reiser4 fs to add
labels to files.

for example, I could have labels: photo, work, personal, vacation....

then a jpg file from work would have the labels photo and work.

it allows searching my files easier. no need to create different
directories for different subjects. All files are in the same
directory and I could browse them using labels.

another advantage is that many files may fall in two categories and
rather than have multiple copies one in each category, I just apply
multiple labels for a single copy of the file.

if the answer is yes, does it require a core change to reiserfs or can
be a plugin.

another question, is the meta tag structure is xml? should it be? XML
documents waste a lot of space and require more cpu cycles to process,
but they are extensible and I hope reiser4 tags are also extensible

Thanks,

-Bedros

btw, awesome work hans and all reiserfs developers.