On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 00:58:28 PST, BLuEGoD said:

>  Hi, i want to know how to install reiser4 on root with only 1 HD.. I use
> mkfs.reiser4 from the reiser4 utils after compile and install kernel & patches
> on a debian woody 2.2.. with a scsi HD, but it crashes (errors found doing
> mkfs.reiser4 on root device and on next boot I saw a kernel panic).. Note: I
> did it with the root mounted.. because i need to boot with that HD..

As several have noted, you can use a spare partition to build a new root
filesystem.  Another option is to use a "rescue disk" or a Knoppix disk
or other CD-based toolset to boot from, and use that to do your mkfs.reiser4.

It's a good idea to *always* have a rescue disk handy, because they enable you
to recover from many problems that will prevent you from booting all the
way to single-user off your production disk (trashed boot block,
missing/misnamed
files in /boot, a need to fsck the boot partition, or whatever...)