Well, it sounds a bit like a microsoft manager explaining why XP-Home
has no terminal server features ;-)

I think an mkfs-option would be best, with a warning if the value
given by the user is nonsence (3-8% ok?).
On the contrary a 500GB hard drive with normal files on it would not
benefit too much just because 25GB are free?

lg Clemens