On Wednesday 28 September 2005 17:40, Fionn Behrens wrote:

> Hello all,

Hello

> I just wanted to tell along a bit about my recent experiences with
> reiserfs. I have been using reiser3.[56] without any glitch for more
> than five years and when I got a new notebook last year, I decided to
> give reiser4 a try. There even was a handy kernel patch package
> available in debian! How nice. A few bencharks proved my choice was
> right. Over the last 12 months I was very happy with it - no sign of a
> problem and pretty fast operation on 2.6.10 and 11.
>
> A few days ago I decided to upgrade to 2.6.13 because I need it for
> development at work. Having heard about the discussions around reiser4
> kernel integration I supposed it should be quite stable now and that it
> may even have improved some more. I also expected it to be readily
> available as a kernel patch for everyone to try.
>
> There was my first surprise: It was not! I spent quite some time
> searching around and finally found that seemingly the only way to get
> reiser4 for the latest kernel were a dozen and a half reiser4* patches
> from mm. Their proper sequence of application also is up to the
> technically interested user.
> Why you request a software to be integrated into Linux while you dont
> even provide an official patch download for the very kernel version you
> want it in, is beyond my comprehension.
>
> Well, since I needed 2.6.13 and my root partition already was reiser4 I
> had to take things like they were. I spent another hour applying those
> patches and getting around some minor problems doing so. Finally, there
> was my shiny new 2.6.13 with reiser4.
>
> But alas, the next surprise was not far away. Trying to suspend my
> notebook now resulted in some reiser4 kernel processes going postal:
>
>   PID USER      PR   SHR S  %CPU  %MEM    TIME+   COMMAND
>   984 root      25     0 R  25.3   0.0   0:23.62  ktxnmgrd:dm-0:t
>  3246 root      25     0 R  24.3   0.0   0:23.54  ktxnmgrd:hda4:t
>   985 root      25     0 R  23.3   0.0   0:23.61  ent:dm-0.
>  3247 root      25     0 S  23.3   0.0   0:23.60  ent:hda4.
>
> The load went up to 8 and my computer became the most expensive heater
> on the block. Reboot unavoidable. Maybe reiser4 had not improved that
> much. A short check on the net just popped a few posts about recent
> reiser4 being "a turkey" and that someone should put up a warning
> somewhere (DAMN YES YOU SHOULD) but no solution.
> I decided to go back to 2.6.11 before any more bad things happen.
>
> Third surprise: they had already happened. 2.6.11 refused to boot the
> root partition, claiming that there were an inconsistency in the FS.

the disk format got new parameters and old kernels cannot understand it right.

> Sep 28 08:44:20 rtfm kernel: WARNING: wrong pset member (11) for 42
> Sep 28 08:44:20 rtfm kernel: reiser4[mount(840)]: init_inode_static_sd
> (fs/reiser4/plugin/item/static_stat.c:283)[nikita-631]:
> Sep 28 08:44:20 rtfm kernel: WARNING: unused space in inode 42
>
> I know the disk is ok and I had not had a crash of any sort (the freaked
> out kernel from above seemed to shut down properly at least). So I
> probed this a bit further:
>
> trying 2.6.13 reiser4:   booting without a warning.
> trying 2.6.11 again:     error, error, no go
> trying 2.6.13 once more: booting nicely
> trying 2.6.11 finally:   error again.
>
> Okay, I'd call this another surprise. I just did not know whether there
> actually was a problem or not! So I decided to give fsck a shot (on

which fsck version?

> 2.6.11 - I had somewhat lost my belief in recent reiser4 code).
> I just ran in with --check, because the man page said that this would be
> read-only.

it says:
"
--check
the default action checks the consistency and reports, but does not
repair any corruption that it finds. This option may be used on a
read-only file system mount.
"

it does not mean 100% read-only check.

> It found this:
>
> FSCK: Node (2196341), item (0), [29:1(SD):0:2a:0]: does not look like a
> valid SD
> plugin set extention: wrong pset member count detected (12).
> FSCK: Node (2196341), item (0), [29:1(SD):0:2a:0]: does not look like a
> valid stat data.
> FSCK: Node (2196341), item (0), [29:1(SD):0:2a:0]: broken item found.
> FSCK: Node (2196341): the node is broken. Pointed from the node
> (2196340), item (0), unit (0). The whole subtree is skipped.
>
> Of course, as a user, I don't have the slightest idea what this means.
> "The whole subtree is skipped" sounded worryingly lossy, however.
> At the end of the run, fsck told me I had to rerun it with --build-fs.
> Now that sounded pretty heavy. I still have some real work to do and I
> already had lost several working hours to this and was not very willing
> to do so right now.
> So I decided to take advantage of the now proven fact that
> REISER4-2.6.13 DOES NOT RECOGNIZE ITS SELF-MADE DAMAGE and give it
> another go for today (I made a backup the other day anyway), save my
> work on NFS and let the --build-fs thing run tonight after work.
>
> There was my fourth surprise: This fsck thing had LIED to me; it was not
> read-only.

why do you think --build-fs is read-only?

> It may have checked the fs read-only but it must have
> treacherously flipped some "error" bit somewhere on disk because now
> even 2.6.13 reiser4 refused to boot the partition properly:
>
> Warning, mounting filesystem with fatal errors, forcing read-only mount
> (followed by the error from above)

do you see anything relevant in the syslog?

> So much for --check being just a check. I grabbed a book and lost about
> two more precious working hours running the --build-fs thing.
>
> At this point I admittedly was >slightly< upset. No, wait. I was pissed.
>
> After the rebuild had finally finished, I dropped my book and rebooted
> into 2.6.11. But hey ho, surprises had not ended yet: The root partition
> still booted read-only telling me it had fatal errors.

you need to clarify what reiser4progs version you are running.
1.0.5 fixes the fs to the letest format, which is needed for 2.6.13.
1.0.3 to the 2.6.10's one.

--
Vitaly