On Thursday 17 November 2005 12:40, Vladimir V. Saveliev wrote:
> Please try whether the attached patch improves anything. It simplifies
> fsync by avoid commiting of transactions which do not modify file being
> fsync-ed.
>
> The patch applied to 2.6.14-mm2 with warnings, but that can be ignored.

I haven't tried this patch yet, but I did try the earlier 'disable fsync
completely' patch. In fact, I'm using it right now.

It doesn't help. Therefore, your patch probably won't help either.

OK, disabling fsync does help a *little* bit. But I think that the issue (for
me, anyway) isn't sync per se, it's just flat-out access time. Deleteing lots
of small files is EXTREMELY slow, but even reading files is slower than it
should be. It took no less that 10 minutes to delete an old kernel source
tree, for instance.

It's related to fragmentation, I think. I didn't really notice any speed
problems until my hard drive got to about 95% (or so) full. But they haven't
gone away, even though usage is now down around 54%.

Hrm... I should be able to check that...

About an hour later...

So maybe I was wrong. 6.5% data fragmentation doesn't seem that high. But
19.8% tree fragmentation does seem a bit high.

How should this data be interpreted?

#measurefs.reiser4 -T /dev/mapper/e-h -f
measurefs.reiser4 1.0.5
Copyright (C) 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 by Hans Reiser, licensing governed by
reiser4progs/COPYING.

Tree fragmentation ... done
0.197747

#measurefs.reiser4 -S -D /dev/mapper/e-h -f
measurefs.reiser4 1.0.5
Copyright (C) 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 by Hans Reiser, licensing governed by
reiser4progs/COPYING.

Data fragmentation ... done
0.065593
Tree statistics ... done