On 24-Mar-06, at 8:55 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hello folks.

i am using slackware linux(2.6.14 with reiser4 patch) on x86_64 and was trying to install free_bsd on a separate partition. well, during that instalation , accedentualy i have pressed a wrong key , so my partition table is owerriten by something else , but i realized this streight away and stopped the instalation process .

so in fac rigth now i ve got around 200GiB of data , all mushed up . there were 11 linux partitions without raid.
many of thoes were reiserfs and reiser4.

I have located Reiser3 partitions after overwriting a partition table. I imagine Reiser4 would be similar.

The method I used is described here: http://slashdot.org/~toby/ journal/110587

Once you have starting sector locations, you can write a new partition table.

Tedious but it will work.

--Toby

i have found on some linux distro's mailing list that the boot sector's backup made by the LILO should contain the table . i'm not 100% sure of that , but i believe it must do .

so basicaly i have this backup file, but it exists somewhere in betweent all that mess on my drive .

now the question is how to recover that file ?

obviously i have tried gpart , wich was updated last time back in 1999 , so could find only my swap part'ion :)

i also read about magicrescue on this list's archive ..but the file i need seems to be binary and i'm still not sure dies it contain the table or just the LILO code .

Can anybody help please , because i think that this 99.(9)% recoveriable !
.
thank you anyway.!