rvalles wrote:

A few months ago I posted about a problem I was having with kernels
newer than 2.6.12.x, where, apparently randomly, sometimes vim or other
programs would be blocked for more than a minute, and during the entire
blockage, the disk would appear to be writing data.

Since I saw talk on the matter, I thought it would be the mmap/fsync
performance problem or something like that, and after so much time it
would be fixed already, but apparently it isn't yet, which I discovered
after building a 2.6.16.1 with the 2.6.16-reiser4-1 patch available on
the namesys ftp server.

Soon after booting my desktop system and starting X, xfce, etc. I
started to wget the latest knoppix ISO and then started to play a movie
with mplayer. The movie is an avi ffmpeg + mp3 at about 1mbit/s overall.
The described blockings happened again and again during the reproduction
of the movie. Now, just to know the format, I played it again, and as it
began, it blocked again... not even knoppix is downloading on the
background.

I got knoppix so that I could boot it, get last reiser4tools and run a
fsck --fix on my reiser4 partition. Since now I've already done that, I
don't think it helped much.

I attach my kernel config file. I'll be very happy to provide any other
debug information if it's needed, or to test patches and see if they fix
the problem. For now, I'll fall back to 2.6.12.6, which is the latest
kernel I can use which doesn't have the problem.

Sincerelly,
Roc Vallès <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hello.
Would you please try the attached patch against 2.6.16.1+reiser4-for-2.6.16-1

Edward.