On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 23:12 +0400, Vladimir V. Saveliev wrote:
> Hello
>
> On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 10:41 -0700, Mike Benoit wrote:
> > So I finally got around to profiling mythbackend when the load starts to
> > spike. To my surprise it appears that once I have less then 10% (30GB)
> > free on the drive reiserfs can't up, even just writing at 1mb/sec is too
> > much for it.
> >
> > Is there something that can be done to fix this, 30gb seems like a lot
> > of wasted space.
> >
> > #opreport
> > CPU: CPU with timer interrupt, speed 0 MHz (estimated)
> > Profiling through timer interrupt
> >           TIMER:0|
> >   samples|      %|
> > ------------------
> >     77863 78.7856 reiserfs
> >     18183 18.3984 vmlinux
> >       695  0.7032 mysqld
> >       452  0.4574 libc-2.4.so
> >       360  0.3643 libmythtv-0.19.so.0.19.0
> >       324  0.3278 ivtv
> >       323  0.3268 nvidia
> >       242  0.2449 libqt-mt.so.3.3.6
> >       110  0.1113 libpthread-2.4.so
> >        53  0.0536 libstdc++.so.6.0.8
> >        35  0.0354 ld-2.4.so
> >        23  0.0233 libperl.so
> >        22  0.0223 libz.so.1.2.3
> > <snip>
> >
> > #opreport -l /usr/src/linux/vmlinux
> > CPU: CPU with timer interrupt, speed 0 MHz (estimated)
> > Profiling through timer interrupt
> > samples  %        symbol name
> > 9607     52.8351  default_idle
> > 7694     42.3142  find_next_zero_bit
>
> It looks like the problem is high fragmentation of free space.
> find_next_zero_bit is a function which is used to scan bitmaps in order
> to find blocks for allocation.

This seems strange, because to me this type of workload would lend
itself to being less fragmented then most workloads. All the box does is
records TV programs, so over the course of 30-60min periods I would
guess 95+% of the writes are sequential.

Why would the fragmentation be so bad? Is there a way to tell what the
fragmentation rate is?

Thanks.

--
Mike Benoit <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>