On Fri, 2006-07-21 at 16:06 -0500, David Masover wrote:
> Mike Benoit wrote:
>
> > Tuning fsync will fix the last wart on Reiser4 as far as benchmarks are
> > concerned won't it? Right now Reiser4 looks excellent on the benchmarks
> > that don't use fsync often (mongo?), but last I recall the fsync
> > performance was so poor it overshadows the rest of the performance. It
> > would also probably be more useful to a much wider audience, especially
> > if Namesys decides to charge for the repacker.
>
> If Namesys does decide to charge for the repacker, I'll have to consider
> whether it's worth it to pay for it or to use XFS instead.  Reiser4
> tends to become much more fragmented than most other Linux FSes --
> purely subjective, but probably true.

I would like to see some actual data on this. I haven't used Reiser4 for
over a year, and when I did it was only to benchmark it. But Reiser4
allocates on flush, so in theory this should decrease fragmentation, not
increase it. Due to this I question what you are _really_ seeing, or if
perhaps it is a bug in the allocator? Why would XFS or any other
multi-purpose file system resist fragmentation noticeably more then
Reiser4 does.

I don't think the repacker is designed to be a "must have" for every
Reiser4 installation. If it was, I would consider Reiser4 to be
seriously flawed. Instead I think it is simply designed to improve
certain workloads that may cause high fragmentation in hopes of keeping
I/O speeds at their peek.

Am I correct in this assumption Hans?

No Linux file system that I'm aware of has a defragmentor, but they DO
become fragmented, just not near as bad as FAT32 used to when MS created
their defragmentor. The highest "non-contiguous" percent I've seen with
EXT3 is about 12%, FAT32 I have seen over 50%, and NTFS over 30%. In
fact I'm running in to a fragmentation issue with ReiserV3 right now
that Jeff is working on, but it is more of a worst case scenario issue,
not a regular occurrence issue.

For "normal" workloads I doubt you would notice much difference at all
by using a repacker, 10% maybe? Which is one of the reasons you probably
haven't seen a repacker for EXT2/3, even though I'm sure it would
improve performance for some people.

--
Mike Benoit <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>