On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 08:16:26 +0200, Huub wrote:

> Huub wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Using Suse 10.1, I had a spontaneous reboot after which I got a fast
>> running screen full of reiserfs messages. Another (inflicted) reboot and
>> Grub gives error 17, meaning it cannot mount a recognized partition.
>> Using the boot-dvd, I selected Rescue, and logged in as root but I have
>> no idea how to proceed trying to save my system.
>> Help is appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Huub
>>

> Correction: errormessage means:
>
> This error is returned if the partition requested exists, but the
> filesystem type cannot be recognized by GRUB.
>
> I.e. GRUB doesn't recognize it's a ReiserFS partition...

Two suggestions.

1) I have found that grub files in r3 have to be copied using -o notail on
the mount command. If you do not use notail, the files are not able to be
read by grub.
2) do not try and create a grub boot while in the r3 partition. Make sure
the partition is unmounted, then boot from a live cd and run grub from
there.

e.g. in your case, with /dev/hdc2 being your root

root(hd2,1)
# at this point grub should respond that filesystem is reiserfs
setup(hd2)
# at this point, grub should install the boot loader.
# unless hdc is NOT your boot disk. If not, then use hd0 or 1.

If not, try recopying /boot/grub by doing this from the live cd.

mount /dev/hdc2 /mnt/wherever -o notail,rw,[noatime]
cd /boot
cp -rP grub grub2
rm -fr grub
mv grub2 grub

then umount it and try the grub commands above.

I have had lots of woes with grub and reiser 3/4. This seems to work for
me.
--
Peter
+++++