Vladimir V. Saveliev wrote:
> Hello
>
> On Friday 06 October 2006 01:59, Bas van Schaik wrote:
>> Hi Vladimir,

>>> Please be precise: which pass hangs? Pass 1 or pass 2?
>>> Note that reiserfsck --rebuild-tree starts with pass 0.
>> I'm sorry: it hangs during the second pass, which is indeed called "pass 1".
>>
>>> Please clarify what does "hangs whole system" mean. If the system hangs so
>>> that it has to be hard rebooted -
>> Like I said: loads increases dramatically and renders the machine unusable.
>>
>>> it is very likely that your problem has nothing to do with reiserfsck.
>> I do think it has something to do with reiserfsck, since the system was
>> functioning fine until I had to repair my filesystem!
>
> ok, may I ask you to run badblocks on that device? reiserfsck wants to be
> able to read and write filesystem device.
> badblocks will show us whether your device is in good shape.

Of course you may ask me this, but I really don't think it's relevant.
ReiserFS is on top of (in this specific order) CryptoLoop, LVM, RAID5
and ENBD. If there are bad blocks on one of the 12 (!) disks, then one
of my storage servers in the ENBD-cluster would report a bunch of I/O
errors, RAID5 would drop the device and ReiserFS won't even notice that
a hard drive failed.
Furthermore, every RAID5 device has had a resync since the filesystem
resize operation, which implies that every bit has been checked at least
once.

I think the problem lies within the way reiserfsck reads and writes to
the underlying block device. Maybe reiserfsck isn't opening the device
in direct I/O (O_DIRECT) mode? I think it should, because it's safer,
though slower. Maybe O_DIRECT can be set optionally on (or off) using a
commandline switch?

Regards,

  -- Bas