This is a very odd problem:

First, I did fsck the Reiser4 partition, there were no errors found.

The machine:
A Compaq R3000 laptop running 64-bit Gentoo.

Here's the problem:
I boot 2.6.21-rc4-mm1 into Gentoo single user mode.
I cat /etc/ld.so.preload.
It should contain /usr/local/lib64/libnosync.so
Instead it contains an equal number of zeros.
Weird, I say.

I copy a backup file into place, or mv one, it does not matter.
Reboot.
Boot single user, /etc/ld.so.preload is empty AGAIN.

So I add custom debugging to my init scripts.  The file is safe all
through shutdown and remount read-only seems OK.

On boot, the file seems OK, UNTIL the initscripts remount the file
system.

This does NOT happen on 2.6.20.

I could try to learn how to git bisect I guess.  Or maybe someone here
knows the problem already?

Thanks.
--
Jonathan Briggs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>