On Thu, 16 Jul 2015, Martin Gräßlin wrote:

Hi KDE distro packagers,

we are currently (Plasma 5.4) in the awkward situation that plasma-workspace
has a hard Wayland dependency and KWin has only an optional build dependency.
After the release of Plasma 5.4 I want to change this and turn some optional
build dependencies into hard dependencies in KWin.

Reasoning: over the Plasma 5.4 cycle I have pretty much only worked on Wayland
support and that has resulted in more than 100
#if HAVE_WAYLAND
#endif

As our CI system and most distributions only compile with Wayland support the
risk of accidental breakage increases each day. Even more it means that
running builds without this build dependency is pretty much untested. While
it's unlikely to affect kwin_x11, it is possible, nevertheless.

Given that I want to turn the following list of dependencies from optional to
required in the next development cycle:
* KF5Wayland
* Wayland::Cursor
* Wayland::Egl
* xkbcommon
* libdrm
* gbm

Speaking for Slackware, we will not move to Plasma 5 nor Wayland in the foreseeable future anyway. Having said that, I am the one who maintains the bleeding edge KDE packages for Slackware in my personal repository and there I do not have these restrictions - except that I can not make software-related decisions that would go against the Slackware policy (my packages always end up being part of the Slackware core at some point). And I already compile Plasma 5 in the presence of Wayland, so the move to a hard *build-time* dependency is OK with me. as long as it does not become a hard *run-time* dependency. An xkbcommon package would have to be added to my repository as a new dependency but that is not an issue for me.
So, no objections from me for the hard build requirements.

The following Wayland specific dependencies would be kept optional:
* X11_XCB
* libhybris
* Libinput
* udev

Thanks for that, I am not prepared to add libinput since according to your erlier posts it would require logind (which we don't and won't include) or a logind-shim (implementations of which do not exist at present). And libhybris? A library to allow the use of Android device drivers? Surely that will always remain optional.

I would like to ask you to try to compile kwin (as of master/5.4 branch) and
verify that you can provide the listed required packages. If your distribution
is not able to provide one please inform me ASAP about it, so that I can
evaluate how much impact it has to keep the dependency optional.

Please note that libinput and udev are only kept optional as to my knowledge
BSDs cannot provide them. Unfortunately it means that the drm backend in KWin
is not functional (doesn't support input) without this dependency.

Thank you for your collaboration.

Best Regards
Martin Gräßlin
Head of KDE Wayland porting team