From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Levinson
Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 12:11 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Do philosophy departments violate the Constitution?

Marty writes

Well, it's not a matter of the teachers' "freedoms"; it's a question of what the state
can "say," i.e., teach.  A state teacher plainly may not present a religious account
of the "true understanding of creation," but presumably a state teacher can, and often
does, present a non-religious account of what the state believes to be the true
understanding of creation.  Sandy appears to view faculty classroom speech at a state
university as the equivalent of a forum for private speech; but I don't think that is
how the law treats it, either with respect to what the EC prohibits or with respect to
what sorts of discrimination the Free Speech Clause permits.

I have a little bit of trouble with the notion of ascribing to "the state" a belief in
"the true understanding of creation." Perhaps I can make my point more clearly if I
look to "the true understanding of the creation of the Constitution" rather than of
the Universe.  I assume that any of us, teaching a class on that topic, can teach that
the Framers were simple Beardian (or neo-Beardian) rent seekers or, on the contrary,
were selflessly striving to instantiate the conditions necessary for civic
republicanism (even though both of these accounts cannot possibly be true and it would
be incoherent to say that the state has a single understanding of the creation, which
would require it, presumably, to fire one of us).  But now let's assume that a third
professor is a Mormon (call him Fred Gedickes!).  It is my understanding--though I
obviously stand subject to correction--that members of LDS believe that the
Constitution was, in some sense, divinely inspired.  If this is true, would it violate
the Constitution

sandy