I tried to respond to Mark's email regarding academic freedom and failed
to edit the paper trail.  In light of some of the posts that have
responded to Mark's email, I have modified my remarks to address what I
believe is the core problem here.

Difficulties abound when the law holds that the state can TEACH ABOUT
religion, but cannot proselytize.  The literature on the subject that I
have seen is highly critical of "religious studies" programs in colleges
and universities.  We have failed to work out the structural and
institutional problems inherent in the seductive language of the
Northwest Ordinance: "[r]eligion, morality, and knowledge being
necessary to good government and the happiness of mankind, schools and
the means of education shall forever be encouraged."  Who has the
institutional competence to teach about religion, and who has the
institutional competence to proselytize?  My piece on Common School
Religion tries to sort this out, but perhaps all that I accomplished
there was some fleshing out of the questions.

Isn't the heart of the problem the fact that teachers are not "neutral"
transmitters of "neutral" facts?  Teachers and academic administrators
have to make choices all of the time.  Sisk is unhappy with the choices
made by, in his opinion, the religious studies establishment.  But given
the psychological strength of the religious views held by some, somebody
will surely be more than a little annoyed with *ANY* choices made by any
teachers of religious studies departments, not only with regard to guest
lectures, but as to the course taught, and the points of view expressed
or developed in those course.

I am troubled by the argument that somehow if the "balance" were
different then the objections would go away.  In matters of religion,
there cannot be a "good" balance that everybody will accept.  Who has
the competence to declare what the proper "balance" might be?  Surely
the answer cannot be federal judges.  One of the reasons we have
academic freedom is precisely because nobody has that competence, at
least in any absolute sense.  We privilege teachers because we can't
come up with anything better.  And once we privilege them, we have to
accept the consequences.  *THAT* is why permitting tax-supported schools
to teach about religion is so problematic.  And yet, prohibiting them
from doing so would strike many as unacceptable.

(As an aside, I find Mark Tushnet's hypothetical interesting indeed.
But I keep beating dead horses because I continue to believe that
religious talk is different than non-religious talk, and I am bold
enough to suggest that Mark's hypothetical makes my point.  We get tied
up in knots very easily when we attempt to use a "free speech" or
"equality" analysis.  I do not believe that even if we treat religious
speech as a legally different kind of speech, something which I believe
the very language and structure of the 1st A requires, that we can
easily solve the problem of how to reconcile freedom *FROM* religion
(nonestablishment) and freedom *OF* religion (free exercise).  (I, of
course, would have written the religion clauses entirely differently,
but nobody has asked or is likely to ask for my opinion on this subject.
But, if anybody really cares, see the introduction in my Protestant
Empire piece and the introduction in my Common School Religion piece.
There are some clues in those articles as to how I might go about
writing a religion clause.)    But surely the scope of the problem is
narrower, and more manageable, if we limit ourselves to religion,
religious speech, religious duties, religious acts, and our history and
experience with religion, particularly the Anglo-American religious
settlements.  And I believe that we stand a better chance of getting
things right -- or kinda right -- if we accept the act that there is
something constitutionally significant about religion and our religious
history etc.)