Dear all,

I appreciate Marty's kind words, and accept his entirely appropriate critique of my post yesterday regarding Davey.  Marty is right to remind us -- that is, to remind me -- that "there are two pertinent Washington Constitutional provisions, both of which were included in the original Washington Constitution."

I'm "on the road" today, so I apologize for my inability to clarify my earlier remarks, or document my earlier claims, to the extent I would like.

I do want to emphasize again, though, that (like Marty) I did not expect that the connections between 19th Century anti-Catholicism and provisions like those at issue in Davey would be outcome-determinative.  As many on this list have shown (I'm thinking, in particular, of Chip Lupu, Steve Smith, and Bob Tuttle), no-aid separationism can be respectably and powerfully defended today without relying on anti-Catholicism.

I should also say -- and I regret that I have not always been clear on this point in my own work -- that I regard "anti-Catholicism" as something distinguishable from "bigotry."  (I try to flesh out this argument in a short essay, "The Theology of the Blaine Amendments, http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=455220)  There is and has long been such a thing as "anti-Catholic bigotry", but I (now) believe it is more important to think about the arguments of those who feared and disagreed with, and not simply disliked, Roman Catholicism.

As Marty points out, in the Becket Fund brief -- to which I contributed, and which was endorsed by a number of distinguished historians, including John Witte, Charles Glenn, George Marsden, etc. -- discussed the Blaine Amendments, their progeny, and their origins in a general way.  The brief also addressed the Washington Constitution, and Article IX, Sec. 4 specifically.  It did not speak directly to Section 11, though it did respond at some length to the suggestion that motives other than anti-Catholicism (again, I would not want to say that anti-Catholicism was always mere "animus") animated Washington's anti-aid provisions.

In my view -- and I realize that, for now, this is an assertion, not a demonstration -- the "original" meaning and purpose of Sec. 11, unlike, perhaps, its "social meaning" today, cannot be divorced from the thoroughgoing anti-Catholicism that shaped and permeated 19th Century American thinking about religious liberty, citizenship, and education.  In my judgment, the evidence establishes the fact that legislative provisions and public arguments speaking to the funding of religious (or "sectarian") schools and education are in large measure the result of concerns about the loyalty of Catholics and the compatibility of Catholicism with American nationalism and liberal -- and, at the time, Protestant -- citizenship.

To be sure, the text from Section 11, cited by Marty -- "No public money or property shall be appropriated for or applied to any religious worship, exercise or instruction, or the support of any religious establishment" -- certainly does not sound "anti-Catholic," and it probably does not today have an "anti-Catholic" social meaning.  Still, the provision would not exist, in my judgment, but for the threats to American values that -- many believed -- were posed by Catholicism.  This connection is established in the recent work of Hamburger, McGreevy, and many others.  And, I believe that the Court was too quick to dismiss it.

All that said, thanks to Marty for "calling" me on this point.

best,

Rick Garnett