-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Rick Duncan
Sent: Friday, March 12, 2004 10:41 AM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: Religious history school projects

One possibility for a free exercise opt-out from a
mandatory field trip to a religious site (or perhaps
to a particular class assignment) is to check to see
if the school has an individualized process for
exemptions. For example, if the school allows students
to miss a field trip if they are sick, or to attend
the funeral or wedding of a close relative, it must
grant a religious exemption or pass strict scrutiny
under Sherbert (as Sherbert was transfigured in Smith
and Lukumi). For a very good 10th circuit opinion in
support of this result, see the Axson-Flynn case (the
case about the girl who refused to curse God when
ordered to do so by her acting class professor).

Cheers, Rick Duncan

--- AJCONGRESS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> See Leebart v.Harrington,327 F33d 134(2d Cir
> 2003);Altman V. Bedford CSD,
> 245 F3d 49(2d Cir. 2001);Skoros v. City of NY (EDNY
> 2004);Brown v. Hot, Sexy
> and Safe, 68 F.3d 525(1st Cir 1995).To these should
> be added the long list
> of cases rejecting parental objections to particular
> textbooks and assigned
> readings.
> Marc Stern

=====
Rick Duncan
Welpton Professor of Law
University of Nebraska College of Law
Lincoln, NE 68583-0902

"When the Round Table is broken every man must follow Galahad or Mordred;
middle things are gone." C.S.Lewis

"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or
numbered."  --The Prisoner