I don't wish to become entangled in this increasingly ad hominem debate; and I suppose I regret starting the thread, seeing as how the question appears to have been willfully misconstrued and turned to other ends.  But for what it's worth, I think it should be quite obvious from my prior posts and elsewhere that my "antennae" go neither berzerk nor "bezerk" whenever public officials "act[] on [their] religious positions in the political square."  This case (as described in press reports, anyway -- I make no claim about their accuracy) obviously involves something quite beyond a public official acting in accord with his religious beliefs, no matter what one thinks of the propriety or constitutionality of the President's conduct.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2004 12:38 PM
Subject: Re: The President and the Pope

I have understood the distinction from the beginning of this thread.  I was just surprised that you "approved of" Kerry violating his own Church's norms by receiving communion.  Later in the thread, you made clear that you have no horse in that battle, but you mangled my position.  I will leave it at that.

As for the general point, I repeat that the antennae on this thread go bezerk when this president acts on his religious positions in the political square.  I fear that many have no idea how much poorer we would be if our predecessors had not done the same (of course, recognizing that there have been grave mistakes as well).