Just a quick follow-up to Marty and Mark's very thoughtful posts.

Under current doctrine, the state does violate the Establishment Clause
when it provides funds to religious organizations and allows them to use
those funds for religious worship, religious instruction, or religious
prosyletizing. This, itself, is a departure from conventional "state
action" doctrine in some areas (for procedural due process cases, for
example)which do not find a constitutional violation when the state
permits (but does not encourage or command) private organizations
receiving state funds to act in ways that are inconsistent with
constitutional norms. So, at least for present purposes, following Mark
and Marty's posts, constitutional restrictions prohibiting states from
allowing publicly funded organizations to act in ways that are
inconsistent with constitutional norms are recognized under the
Establishment Clause -- even though similar restrictions are not
recognized for some other constitutional rights and claims. Why such
restrictions should apply to using public funds for worship and
proselytizing, but not to religiously based hiring, is an open question?

Although no case to my knowledge exists that tests this proposition, I
think these is a powerful argument that the state would violate the equal
protection clause if it privatized social welfare programs and knowingly
contracted with private organizations that refused to hire African-
Americans to perform what had historically been public functions -- and
which continued to be so in the sense that government continued to pay
for the continuation of the programs, asserted the authority to regulate
their operation, and demanded open access to the benefits provided to
eligible beneficiaries.

There has always been a substantive dimension to state action doctrine
that draws different lines depending on the nature of the right and claim
that is being adjudicated. By that, I mean the rules governing whether
the constitution prohibits the state from allowing private parties to do
things that violate constitutional rights or norms are not uniform.

Alan Brownstein
UC Davis

=
> (The issue was raised, but avoided, in Bob Jones.)  Assuming for the =
> sake of argument that the Court would continue to view Norwood as =
> correctly decided -- a big assumption, no doubt, with this Court -- the
=
> question would then become whether the logic of Norwood (i.e., the
state =
> may not fund entities that engage in racial discrimination that would
be =
> unconstitutional if done by the state) applies when the
state "contracts =