I doubt Yoder comes out the same today -- even with this Court. The advent of home schooling to state-set standards changes things substantially, I think. We now generally accept that the state may set certain standards for education up to a certain age -- though we do "allow drop-outs" -- and that a state may require attendance up to a certain age -- you can't drop out until then. This was true in the time of Yoder, as well, but we have 30 years more experience and thought now, and some demystification of the myth of the "cute" quaint Amish as utterly positive and benign, of which the article cited by Sandy is just another example.
Accommodation is what is required; not exemption from participation in society in a number of compulsory ways, including taxes and becoming educated.

Steve

--
Prof. Steven D. Jamar vox: 202-806-8017
Howard University School of Law fax: 202-806-8567

"If we are to receive full service from government, the universities must give us trained [people]. That means a constant reorientation of university instruction and research not for the mere purpose of increasing technical proficiency but for the purpose of keeping abreast with social and economic change. . . . Government is no better than its [people]."

William O. Douglas