As I understand it, Steve Shiffrin's suggestion presents
nonparallelism between religious "courses" and school-offered
courses -- that is, the former are taught by religious personnel off-
site, and the latter are taught by public employees on-site.  If the
offerings are sufficiently rich, this takes care of the "dead time"
problem.  (Cf. the Cleveland voucher case and the question whether
Cleveland voucher students had secular school options equivalent
to their religious school options).  But it will be very difficult for courts
to determine that sufficiency (what principles will do the job, other
than market preference -- either all parents are satisfied, or they are
not).
And there remain other problems -- one is the truancy/coercion
problem that I noted in my last post.  Another is that parents can
select their own religious teacher, but cannot select their own
teacher in the other course offerings.  And that means the religion-
choosing parents get more control over the content of their child's
"course" than the other parents.  (I must say I don't understand why
we should be twisting ourselves into pretzels to design something
which is entirely unnecessary in a world in which there are plenty of
non-school hours for religious education.)

Chip