I asked one of my colleagues who is a student of the legislative process
to comment on Prof. Brownstein's view of law-making (see below).  Here
is what he had to say:

Ellis: There is plenty of literature on this subject, from the
standpoint of interest groups and legislative decision making. For lack
of a better term, Brownstein accepts a rational choice view of the
legislative process, whereby costs and benefits are calculated for
maximum effect and that a benefit often comes at a "price," and frequent
investors in the capital of decision makers are compensated. This
process of trades certainly goes on, particularly on low salience issues
such as the sort of contracts described by the local government
official. But the process is not completely void of deliberation and
most projects that are awarded are meritorious in the first place. The
fact that a political supporter was awarded a project does not mean that
the award itself was based solely or even principally on the capital.
Providing capital is a necessary, but not a sufficient condition for
reward. Indeed, many studies of interest group influence, using PAC
contributions as the group's measure of influence, do not show the "quid
pro quo" described in the story below. Some studies do show that PAC
giving effects legislative outputs, others do not (again the literature
is fairly extensive). Moreover, once the decision making process gets
beyond the calculation of individual members, larger contextual forces
come into play: party, bicameralism, roles of competing groups,
leadership, and electoral constituency. Moreover, other studies (perhaps
Bessette's extensive analysis of case studies done on congressional
decision making is the most prominent) show that legislation is often
the process of deliberation rather than simply exchanging favors.

So, to summarize. Yes, it happens, but the extent to which it happens
depends on the issue; the causal connection between a favor and a
benefits is murky; and there is some debate over the extent to which
legislation generally is a product of bargaining over costs and benefits
as opposed to deliberation. I don't know enough about how religious
groups operate and how they would figure into this scheme, but I will
try to find out. DP

Daniel J. Palazzolo
Associate Professor of Political Science
Coordinator of the DC Initiative
University of Richmond
Richmond, VA 23173
804 289-8973