I think Professor Brownstein's analogy between gay rights and free
exercise is a very important one.

        Kenji Yoshino points out that having constitutional protections for
status but not for conduct means that groups that can assimilate are forced
to do so.  And the pressure to assimilate takes many forms; Yoshino points
out how gay people are encouraged "to convert, to pass, and to cover."
Kenji Yoshino, Covering, 111 Yale L.J. 769, 774 (2002).  (Though I'm being a
little loose here, 'to pass' means essentially to lie about one's sexual
identity, while 'to cover' means to downplay it.)

        The word "convert" should flag for us the obvious parallels between
Yoshino's work and the law-and-religion context.  So should the phrase
"status but not conduct" as it is the rule of Employment Division v. Smith.

        It's just unavoidable that the Smith rule, without strong and
frequent legislative protection for religious exemptions, will force
religious observers to convert outright, to minimize their own religiosity,
or to change it to fit the government regulation -- religious people will
have "to convert, to pass and to cover."  I find that lamentable.

        Chris Lund

Christopher C. Lund
Visiting Assistant Professor
University of Houston Law Center