The term "hire" refers to any position in which one is employed, regardless of how one got there or the motivation for doing so.

There is, of course, an exemption for religious positions in religious organizations in Title VII and it would be required in any event under the Free Exercise clause.

The all-or-nothing approach will never work in the freedom of religion area nor in the Supreme Court nor should it. The legislatures should make exemptions according to balancing interests and policies and resolving competing principles, as should the courts in interpreting and applying the constitution. This is absolutely typical.