I see a larger role than Marci does for constitutionally mandated and
judicially enforced free exercise exemptions, but there is a problem with
Brad's argument. A law that prohibited a certain kind of speech *as speech*
would not be neutral and generally applicable; it would target speech the
same way the City of Hialea targeted the Santeria religious ritual in the
Lukumi case. Cf. O'Brien and other symbolic speech cases in which regulation
of conduct is usually upheld despite the effect on the symbolic speech.

With regard to Marci's point on the ministerial exception having no bite in
the Ninth Circuit where the claim is for sexual harassment, I think she
overstates the case. The most recent Ninth Circuit case on the issue (Elvig)
severely limits the remedies that an allegedly sexually harassed minister
can seek. In a suit for sexual harassment and for retaliation for making a
claim of sexual harassment, the plaintiff's recovery cannot include
reinstatement, lost wages, recovery for damage to reputation caused by an
allegedly retaliatory firing, or an order requiring the church to give the
plaintiff access to its process by which ministers find new positions. The
court also held that retaliatory employment decisions (e.g., firing,
demotion, change in duties) were not actionable, though retaliatory "verbal
abuse and intimidation" would be (if such speech were not religiously
mandated), with possible recovery for emotional distress and damage to
reputation. (I think the court had in mind a situation in which verbal abuse
and intimidation might happen in front of others in the church, with
resulting possible damage to the plaintiff's reputation.) I think the
plaintiff is left with the possibility of recovering only for emotional
distress associated with the alleged harassment, and for emotional distress
(and possible damage to reputation) associated with the alleged retaliation.

Mark S. Scarberry
Pepperdine Univ. School of Law