It used to be good enough, but we know that is not the case anymore.
What you call "standard" failure to accommodate is on shakier ground
too, if one cobbles together Rosenberger, Dale, and state/fed RFRAs.

But as I said, I think under the "logic" of current case law, Locke is
particularly hard to defend -- and thus your hypos are even harder to
defend.

That does not mean I think that Locke is a bad result --I don't.

As for the Chief's opinions, I disagree with some of what has been said
here. Imagine the ornate version of Locke --the one some of us yearned
to read -- in which every one of the doctrinal balls thrown to the Court
is shagged.  The assumption that spinning every theory that this complex
little case implicated would have yielded a better outcome, or even a
more analytically sound opinion, may not be incorrect. Sometimes (maybe
this is the deadening effect of deaning....ugh) short and sweet is
better when one has to juggle incommensurables, as I think the Court
does in nearly all of the "unconstitutional conditions" cases.

I also think the Chief may be heeding the sage advice of my high school
driver's education instructor:  "Never back up more than you have to
--you increase the chances of hitting something."

Speaking of short and sweet --that's more than enough from me on this
thread.