From: "Volokh, Eugene" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Law & Religion issues for Law Academics" <religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu>
Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2005 6:24 PM
Subject: Government displays protesting against the Supreme Court'sEstablishment Clause jurisprudence

Say that a City Council mounts a display of historical American
documents that have religious themes -- say, the ones cited in Justice
Scalia's McCreary dissent -- with an introductory posting that says:
"The City Council of [name] condemns the Supreme Court's decisions
striking down the display of religious symbols in government buildings.
These decisions go against centuries of American tradition, as well as
against the views of the Framers.  Throughout American history,
governmental bodies have repeatedly acknowledged God, and should
continue to be free to do so.  We post just a few samples of such
acknowledges of God, which we believe should be constitutional."  And
let's say that this indeed sincerely reflects the City Council members'
purpose -- not implausible, since I suspect that quite a few government
officials would like to do this sort of thing.

Would this be constitutional?  Should it be?  Rereading McCreary
County led me to think that this sort of purpose is part of what was
going on as to the second and third displays, though I would think only
a part.  I'm curious what would happen if this was really the
government's purpose.

Please note that messages sent to this large list cannot be viewed as private.  Anyone can subscribe to the list and read messages that are posted; people can read the Web archives; and list members can (rightly or wrongly) forward the messages to others.