I suppose that Eugene's reply is a demonstration of why invoking
common sense is better than trying to get fancy about it.  (But, I'm
puzzled at how putting up a picture is a "cogent argument" but
putting up a banner is not; I'll give you "vivid" in both cases, but --
at least where I come from -- a cogent argument presents
reasons for the conclusion drawn.  I don't think anyone is
contending that republishing Justice Scalia's dissent would violate
the Establishment Clause; doing so presents an argument, the
cogency of which I'll leave to others to assess.  The question is
about whether protesting by means of adjoining to that dissent the
displays at issue in McCreary -- and, by the way, which one? the
first one? the second one? the third one? (and if the display of the
third one is a cogent argument, why wouldn't the display of the
first one be?) -- violates the Establishment Clause becase -- once
again -- common sense tells us that the (primary) reason/purpose
for choosing that form of protest is one that, according to Lemon
prong-one, is one on which the government cannot predicate its
actions.)
begin:vcard
n:Tushnet;Mark
fn:Mark Tushnet,tushnet
tel;fax:202-662-9497
tel;work:202-662-1906
org:Georgetown University Law Center;
adr:;;600 New Jersey Ave. NW;Washington;DC;20001;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
end:vcard