we get into definitional things here in a big hurry.  affirmative action as practiced by most businesses is widely supported -- seeking out qualified minorities and under represented groups.

affirmative action as pilloried in caricature by the right -- hiring unqualified people for positions because of minority status (which has happened and still does) -- leads to quite a different result in peoples' attitudes.

I don't have the research on this at hand, however.

steve