I realize I’ve fallen behind on this thread. But to answer your questions, Brad, -- in my 25 years of teaching, no student has ever initiated a conversation with me that would justify my exhorting them to accept the tenets of Judaism. Indeed, I’m hard pressed to imagine a situation where this might occur. In response to questions, I have told students who asked me where in town they could go to attend High Holy Day services – but that doesn’t constitute exhortation.

As for the officer who suggests to subordinates that “real” men drink and chase women, that may be stupid and insensitive, but it probably does not raise constitutional concerns. Religion is special.  Exhorting a subordinate about religion is like exhorting a subordinate to support a political candidate. It’s off limits because the government, and particularly the military, can not endorse specific religious faiths or political parties.

Basically, I think public school teachers, public university professors, military officers, and other government officials are given considerable discretionary power over students and subordinates. Along with that power goes a corresponding responsibility. No one subject to such power should have to worry that their religious or political affiliation will influence the way that power is exercised.

I think Chip is absolutely correct that government officials acting in their official capacity have no authority to teach, exhort, or persuade citizens to adopt the official’s religious beliefs – and that such teaching or exhortation would violate the First Amendment. Further, the risk of abuse in these hierarchical situations is so great that a prophylactic rule is entirely appropriate.

Alan Brownstein

UC Davis