The press release contains at least one error of fact. The Bible Literacy Curriculum is described in the press release as not using the Bible. This is incorrect .Each chapter begins with an assignment of relevant Biblical passages which are to be read by the students in connection with each chapter. Considerations of space (and therefore cost ) precluded actual reproduction of the whole texts in the book.]The release also says the Bible Literacy Curriculum could lead students to believe parts of the bible are myth. It does not specify how this was accomplished. We certainly did not say that the Bible as a whole was myth. The book does say that some portions of the bible may be understood as allegories and not literally true.(As Orthodox a Jew as Maimonides believed  that the fall story was either a dream of an allegory).Regrettably too the press release sues the word liberal as something of a pejorative term .Criticism of the book is surely in place; name calling is unnecessary and just adds to the bad feelings about every effort to deal with religion in the  schools.

Marc Stern

[EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Ed Brayton
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 11:07 AM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Re: Dueling Bible Curricula

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

The press release linked below crossed my email today and given the subject of it, National Council on Bible Curriculum in the Schools vs. Bible Literacy Project, I thought list subscribers might have an interest.  It can be viewed in full at:  http://www.earnedmedia.org/kjos1130.htm

It looks to me like that press release is essentially an admission that the NCBCPS curriculum is unconstitutional under current precedent. The author first says that the Supreme Court has ruled that the bible can be taught in public schools as long as it's taught from a scholarly perspective and the school can't endorse the content, then he complains that the Bible Literacy Project curriculum encourages critical thinking about the bible and it "does not teach the Bible as the inerrant word of God", problems he says are not present in the NCBCPS curriculum. Isn't that pretty much an admission that the NCBCPS curriculum violates the Supreme Court's standards for teaching about the bible in public schools?

Ed Brayton