I agree that the local tradition takes precedence -- but what is the principle that controls?  If this is maliable to fit the local group, do they have absolute autonomy to determine their norm -- or do we require that they adjust their tradition to fit our norms?  Or must they adjust to the norm adopted by the group that is most accomodating to existing norms?  For example, if one mosque adopts an evening service, does that means that all can and therefore no accomodation is necessary?

I was simply citing the Middle East as a broad, diverse (Shi'a and Sunni) comparative norm from a region that most Muslims would consider relavent.

David
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, May 15, 2006 9:31 AM
Subject: Re: Early dismissal for Muslims on Friday

In the particular instance in Howard County Maryland, the primary weekly service is on Fridays at 1:45 pm, which would effectively cut out the last class period of the day on Fridays under the Howard County school schedule.

The Muslim community associated with the one mosque in Howard County is seeking the accommodation for its male members who are required to attend.  Women are encouraged to attend.

There is nothing magical or critically important about the 1:45 start time, as opposed to a somewhat later or earlier time, but  there are practical logistical reasons as well as religiously premised-reasons for that timing.

In evaluating the request, it is important, is it not, to take it on its own terms and on the understandings of this Muslim community and its practices -- not those of several Sunni countries or Wahabi or Maliki or New York or any other Muslim community.  Accommodation as a principle doesn't rest on the universality of some norm within a large category of religion, does it?  We don't accommodate Christians based on them being just Christians or some practice in the Greek Orthodox tradition.  We accommodate based on the local version, regardless of how idiosyncratic, right?

Steve