One issue that has be intimated but not stated explicitly, I think, is that the students are acting lawlessly. Is that the message that we want to send our children and other students? That it's OK when you have conscientious beliefs to violate laws and societal norms just because you think you should?

        The majoritarian issue obscures this.  If a minority of Muslim students acted this way they would be just as culpable as a majority of Christian students.  Of course, the point where the majority issue is pertinent is whether the group will be able to get away with its lawless conduct.

         This issue, of course, is one of many in the battle over control of the public square. Some want a relatively neutral public square, not in any philosophical sense, just in the practical sense of barring as many sectarian perspectives from formal _expression_ as possible.  Opponents content that this relative neutrality is in reality smuggling in a particular "liberal" sectarian point of view. I disagree with the view that a practical sense of "neutrality" as opposed to a conceptual, philosophical, or political theoretical sense is impossible.  But that's where the controversy should be joined?

Bobby

Robert Justin Lipkin
Professor of Law
Widener University School of Law