I agree.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Brian Landsberg
Sent: Saturday, September 02, 2006 4:22 PM
To: religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu
Subject: From the list custodian re: theological discussions

Hallelujah!

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 9/2/2006 1:02:49 PM >>>
        I thought I'd briefly note that as a general matter, purely
theological discussions -- such as what the Bible allows or forbids --
are not on-topic for the list; the list is about the secular law
related
to religious practice, practitioners, and institutions (what I
somewhat
clunkily call "The Law of Government and Religion"), and not about
religious law.  One-shot queries for help with questions of religious
law (such as the one that started the thread) are generally fine,
since
there are likely quite a few people on the list who would have answers
to such questions, and such queries are therefore an easy way of
advancing people's research.   But extended discussions about
religious
law are generally off-topic.

        This having been said, I haven't spoken up about the polygamy
thread, because many list members seem to have been interested in it,
and because the list has been relatively quiet on other matters, so it
hasn't been detracting from on-topic discussions.  (I've also been
swamped with other things, so I didn't really focus on the thread
until
recently.)  I did, however, want to note that this thread shouldn't be
seen as precedent for other on-list theological discussions; and to
suggest that now that the thread has been active for some days and
several dozen posts, it might be worthwhile to wind it down.  Thanks,

        The list custodian