I had thought that, where constitutional accommodations are
involved, Thomas v. Review Bd. had settled the matter:  It's not up to
the government to decide whether beliefs are internally consistent, or
whether they are shared by all of the claimant's ostensible
coreligionists.  Nor is it up to the government to question the line the
claimants draw.  ("We see, therefore, that Thomas drew a line, and it is
not for us to say that the line he drew was an unreasonable one.")

        Now it doesn't follow that the cab drivers ought to have a
constitutional entitlement to the accommodation; since I agree with
Smith, I think that they shouldn't, and even under the Minnesota
Constitution's provision, which Minnesota courts have interpreted as
following Sherbert and Yoder, it's possible that one might reject the
accommodation claim (though it's interesting to see just how this could
be done).  I just think that their claim cant be rejected on the grounds
that their interpretation of Islamic law is arbitrary, idiosyncratic, or
inconsistent.