I hardly agree that he lost on the merits of the argument.  I have yet to read any reasonable interpretation of law or history that supports your position.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, October 02, 2006 9:13 AM
Subject: Re: Victory for Military Chaplains Who Pray "In Jesus Name"

Having lost this debate on its intellectual merits, Mr. Finkelman resorts to personal attacks on my character.

Yet I agree with him on one point, that pride is a terrible sin, so I shall here endeavor to humbly practice Proverbs 27:2:  "Let another praise you, and not your own mouth; someone else, and not your own lips" lest I appear to toot my own horn.

84% of the Sailors on my ship agreed, "the command chaplain cares for all denominations, regardless of faith or belief.

94% of Americans supported me during my hunger strike, and only 6% supported the Navy's position, in this poll:

85% of Americans supported my position on the issue of letting chaplains pray in Jesus name, in this poll:

Ultimately, even public opinion is secondary to God's opinion, and if I have pleased Him then I am justified.

But having lost this NATIONAL debate, the anti-Jesus crowd was properly rebuked by the American public (who is decidedly pro-Jesus), and so the Navy and Air Force were ordered by Congress to respect public opinion (and the Constitution), so freedom of religious _expression_ was properly restored.

I don't mind the personal insults by Mr. Guinn and Mr. Finkelman, (I've been insulted by better men), but their lack of intellectual argument appears very much as "sour grapes."

Chaplain Klingenschmitt

Paul Finkelman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Sounds very much like someone tooting his own horn? Is excessive pride
also a sin?

One can only wonder how G-d will respond to someone who brags about his
work to make outcasts of gay members of the human family. Perhaps the
Chaplain should try marching a mile or two in the boot of a gay sailor
or soldier.

I am no expert on the chaplain's faith, but have spent a great deal of
my life studying religion and this is the first time I have ever heard a
Christian assert that praying fomr the Book of Psalms compromised a
Christian's faith.

Paul Finkelman
President William McKinley Distinguished Professor of Law
and Public Policy
Albany Law School
80 New Scotland Avenue
Albany, New York 12208-3494

518-445-3386
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Do you Yahoo!?

Please note that messages sent to this large list cannot be viewed as private.  Anyone can subscribe to the list and read messages that are posted; people can read the Web archives; and list members can (rightly or wrongly) forward the messages to others.