I don't disagree with the major thrust of what you say, except that I
wonder whether judges will avoid "intruding" in other categories of
cases.

________________________________

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Douglas Laycock
Sent: Friday, January 26, 2007 6:50 PM
To: religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu
Subject: Re: Landmark First Amendment Religion Litigation?

There are no post-Wolf cases in the Supreme Court.  They have repeatedly
denied cert, letting lower courts apply and abuse Wolf however they
want.  Some state courts have indeed imposed congregational polities on
hierarchical churches, at least with respect to property ownership.  The
Russian Orthodox case in Massachusetts may be the most absurd of these.
But there is very little of this judicial intrusion, even in the lower
courts, in minister cases, and virtually none outside the context of
sexual harassment.

Quoting [EMAIL PROTECTED]:

******
> **************************
>
> IRS Circular 230 Disclosure:  To comply with requirements imposed by
the
> IRS, we inform you that any U.S. federal tax advice contained herein
> (including any attachments), unless specifically stated otherwise, is
not
> intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purposes
of (i)
> avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting,
> marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter
> herein.

Douglas Laycock
Yale Kamisar Collegiate Professor of Law
University of Michigan Law School
625 S. State St.
Ann Arbor, MI  48109-1215