Could you please provide a full and complete factual description of the
Code Pink conduct?  I need to understand how it is analogous, in
concrete, factual terms, with the behavior of the Phelps group.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Esenberg,
Richard
Sent: Friday, November 02, 2007 9:20 AM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: IIED and vagueness

As others have suggested, I think it goes like this. It seems quite
possible to suppose that military families will be offended by
demonstrators, either, as with Code Pink, outside a military hospital
(or, say at a military funeral), who suggest that their loved ones were
wounded or killed in vain. Heck, we don't even have to speculate because
news reports about those demonstrations reflected that families and
servicemen were mightily offended.

If you want to say that there ought to be some rule that requires some
level of nastiness that may not have been present at the Code Pink
demonstrations, it's not hard to imagine (there are ample real world
examples) that the demonstrators referred to soldiers as "baby killers"
or to those who sent them overseas as "war criminal."

Incidentally, I would be interested in references to studies showing
that violence and insult are not evenly distributed across the political
spectrum.

Rick Esenberg
Marquette University School of Law