I doubt very much that Justice Scalia could be naive enough to think that
there is a uniform approach to church state relations in Europe.  I suspect
that he meant France when he referred to Europe, but, as a highly placed
member of the United States government, he probably didn't want to cause a
diplomatic problem by publicly criticizing another country on its approach
to an internal matter.  It is easy to criticize an agglomeration like
"Europe" without such concern; it was simply code.

David Waddilove
Adjunct Professor
UALR Bowen School of Law
P.O. Box 2060