True enough, but France is not the US.  Their traditions and culture are
really quite different.  Naturalization in France has always required that
one becomes "French" whereas in the US we have only required knowledge (a
test) and an oath.  You can still be something else. That is why
Frankfurter's opinions in Gobitis and Barnette are so awful.

Paul Finkelman

Not the only reason, Paul. What I object to is his hypocrisy (and his
sanctimonious tone in Barnette.) FF was trying to have it both ways, hinting
that his heart was with the liberals and appeasing advocates of judicial
restraint. And all along he thought that what the school boards did was not
only constitutional; it was right.

Judy