From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu
Subject: Re: Can religious and secular courts exist in the same nation?
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 20:52:31 +0000

The issue of Shar'ia courts in
the United Kingdom is, of course, primarily a political question.  The
'headlines' are no more than the common use of arbitration (Arbitration Act
1996) for dispute resolution.  In the United Kingdom, as noted, there
is only so far that one can go to 'surrender' constitutional
rights.

The interesting position is that of the
government which wishes to promote 'false jurisdictions' leaving many Islamic
women unaware of their rights. It is unlikely secular courts will face any
challenges to enforcement.   The creation of separate communities is
unlikely to be healthy, which is the object of the policy.  In normal
times, this might be a sign of a pluralistic society, but not without
a concept of the 'common good'.  At
the core of this debate is the basic need of a liberal State to re-produce
itself, namely to produce liberal citizens with common values.

In 1995, the
Turkish Constitutional court dissolved Refah, the government party, for
straying
from secularism, which is the guiding doctrine of the Turkish State. In the
subsequent case of Refah Partis v. Turkey, the European Court held
that the establishment of a plurality of legal systems based on religious
beliefs is incompatible with the rule of law.

Paul

Paul
Diamond
Chambers of Paul Diamond