Why would being an unincorporated association have any effect on tax status of
a church?

In a message dated 03/11/09 15:55:44 Central Daylight Time,
smkrie...@verizon.net writes:
Marc and Marci - If  a congregation registers under the Not for Profit
Corporation law , does that thereby allow ecclesiastical decisions to be
subject to approval by lay governance or review by  the courts? Are we
elevating form over substance??

Can the lay board of directors  direct that the Rabbi of an Orthodox Jewish
congregation allow a female cantor to officiate or that he  hold Sabbath
sevices on Sunday ??   I would submit not -    Davis v Scher , 97 N.W.2d 137,
356 Mich. 291 (1959). What happens if on the other hand the Rabbi wamts to
introduce these practices over board or membership opposition.? see,.   Katz v
Singerman  241 La. 103, 127 So.2d 515. (1960).

Two additional notes-
 1.Many of the cases in this area have courts straining to find a "property
interest" and thereby granting jurisdiction to a secular court .. See PARK
SLOPE JEWISH CENTER, ,v.CONGREGATION B'NAI JACOB, 90 NY2d 517, 686 N.E.2d 1330
(1997) . (fascinating procedural history)

2. Retaining unincorporated status  may result in making  the benefits of IRC
Section 501 (c) (3) unavailable to the congregation.

SAMUEL M. KRIEGER,ESQ.
Krieger & Prager LLP
39 Broadway, Suite 920
New York, NY 10006