This case appears to have just become outrageous. She can wear a scarf but not
"this" scarf?  Or not for "this" reason?  Or not if she's a Muslim?  What rule,
or what interpretation, did she violate?

Quoting Christopher Lund <l...@mc.edu>:

> I was confused about this too. The 3rd Circuit opinion makes it sound as
> if Directive #78 was religion-neutral.  But the district court opinion
> was a little more unclear.  Judge Bartle made statements like,
> "Philadelphia Police Directive 78 bars the wearing of religious dress or
> symbols under all circumstances when a police officer is in uniform."
> That sounded to me like an explicit ban on religious attire.
>
> So I looked at the Directive 78 that Dave Sidhu sent.  That does not
> single religious gear out specifically.  It does have certain
> exceptions, such as for jewelry (wedding rings, class rings, id
> bracelets, small post earrings for women only).  And relating to what
> Professor Finkleman said before, there's actually an allowance for
> "scarves" if they are "black or navy blue," and "captains and above may
> wear white scarves."  Perhaps a khimar can fit in there.
>
> Best,
> Chris
>
> ______________________
> Christopher C. Lund
> Assistant Professor of Law
> Mississippi College School of Law
> 151 E. Griffith St.
> Jackson, MS  39201
> (601) 925-7141 (office)
> (601) 925-7113 (fax)
> Papers: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=363402[1]

>     Is the rule really against wearing religious attire?  I couldn't
> quickly find Police Department Directive 78 -- the relevant rule --
> online, but as I understand it, it sets forth a specific uniform, and
> all deviations from the uniform are prohibited, whether they are
> religious or otherwise.  I doubt, for instance, that the department
> would allow the wearing of political buttons, or ethnic symbols, or
> just
> the officer's favorite hat.  Or am I missing something?
>
>     Eugene

Douglas Laycock
Yale Kamisar Collegiate Professor of Law
University of Michigan Law School
625 S. State St.
Ann Arbor, MI  48109-1215
  734-647-9713