And how would you, Rick, analyze the free speech issue if the
the exclusion covered:
"participation in activities of organizations
teaching about, counseling, advocating, or performing abortions"?  In Locke,
and in the abortion case, and in your hypothetical, the government must only
have a non-arbitrary reason for the exclusion.  In Locke, the non-arbitrary
reason had to do with not funding the training of clergy; in my hypothetical,
the reason would be just like that in Rust v. Sullivan and its progeny (that
the government is "pro-life," and does not want its resources to support a
certain cause, thought immoral by many citizens).  Perhaps your hypothetical
would similarly be OK, particularly on the gay marriage point.  Excluding
organizations that teach "about the need to reduce global warming" is a bit
tougher, but not much -- the cause is controversial, and the state does not
want to be creating incentives for people to advance that cause.  They remain
free to advance it with their own resources.

In Bowman, the non-arbitrary reason for exclusion is not so easy to find, but
perhaps it is designed to keep the government away from the question of whether
a particular religious organization serves any public good (the organization
might get a tax exemption, but those who help it can't get this sort of credit
toward a military pension).  If all religions must be included in the
retirement credit system, perhaps the government would be a bit stingier in
recognizing a religion for tax exemption purposes.  That doesn't sound to me
like a healthy constitutional trade-off.

The rule upheld in Bowman is a product of a now abandoned constitutional
regime, which is why Bob Tuttle and I were surprised that DoD still had this
rule, and that DOJ defended it.  But its provenance does not make it
unconstitutional, especially in light of Locke.

Chip