I'm certainly with you on tush-patting and branch-whipping.   And on not
taking an 11-year old who stops walking, speaking and eating to the hospital.
 I suspect (almost?) everyone on the list is.   It's in-between that raises
issues. I have no doubt that child abuse has a very high cost to society.
I'm also confident that any effort to wipe out child abuse would also have
a very high cost to society.   Just look at the war on drugs.   Who would
ever have thought that we'd have SWAT teams breaking into innocent people's
homes looking for marijuana, until we did?   The costs of law enforcement need
to be kept in mind, along with the costs of child abuse.   There are no
perfect solutions.

Art