I think Mark is clearly right when he talks about generally recognized
religious doctrines in part because we know as an empirical matter that
individuals who hold these beliefs are capable of engaging in first rate
scientific work, practicing medicine with great skill, and doing all kinds of
other work that requires scientific knowledge and expertise.

Eugene's question focuses on less conventional and less common religious
beliefs, however. One answer to the problem of the individual who holds
uncommon religious beliefs who is nominated to a position of authority is that
we can look at the individual's life and accomplishments as a check on our
concern about his religious beliefs being inconsistent with the position to
which he has been appointed. Typically leadership positions are offered to
people with considerable experience and accomplishments in their field. If
unconventional religious beliefs have not interfered with their professional
responsibilities and accomplishments for 25 years or so, there seems little
reason to believe that they would suddenly become inconsistent with their
ability to preform their professional responsibilities when appointed to a
leadership position.

I think the harder question is whether unconventional religious beliefs should
preclude an individual from entry level positions when the individual's beliefs
(in the abstract) may seem inconsistent with the responsibilities they would
assume in the position they are seeking and we have no track record to offset
such concerns. The answer to that question may be contextual -- depending for
example on the consequences of the individual's failure to perform his job in a
competent way.

Alan Brownstein