Eric:

I would need a thick and objective description of what happened at Washburn in
order to evaluate its significance in this larger argument.   For example, what
was the Mormon student saying (or planning to say) about the Bible that caused
such consternation and conflict?  Was there a back story of conflict between
Mormons (or this particular student) and CLS members that preceded this
incident?   That would all be quite useful to know, but I have to say that it's
still only one story, and I would guess that CLS lawyers (who have been
litigating these cases for years) would have been on the lookout for such
incidents.  So one story and one story only would not change my basic intuition
that an all-comers policy in a school-created forum presents a cooperation
game, where everyone understands that aggressive challenges and takeovers will
invite reciprocal action, and that such tit-for-tat responses will quickly
destroy the forum.

Chip

Ira C. Lupu
F. Elwood & Eleanor Davis Professor of Law
George Washington University Law School
2000 H St., NW
Washington, DC 20052
(202)994-7053