Friends -- with respect to Marci's suggestion that religious entities be
required to inform people in ministerial positions about the fact that such
entities have a constitutional right to hire-and-fire that is not subject to
many employment-law constraints . . .   it seems to me that people often suffer
what I think Marci and I would agree are "harms" as a result of others'
exercise of constitutional rights (in particular, the freedom of speech).  That
is, the Constitution does have the effect (and, it seems to me, *was* intended
to have the effect) of insulating *some* harms (e.g., the pain caused by
offensive speech) caused from correction or prevention by the government.

Do we think, though, that, as a general matter, rights holders should have to
inform those with whom they are in relationships and who might be harmed by the
exercise of the rights holders' rights that the rights might, in fact, be
exercised?  Should a reporter, for example, have to warn anyone whom she
interviews about the harm-causing-potential of the rule in New York Times v.
Sullivan?

I agree, for what it's worth, that it makes good sense for attorneys
representing churches and religious institutions to advise their clients to
inform those in ministerial positions (that is, in any position that the church
regards as ministerial) about their (the institutions') religious liberty.  But
I'm wondering if Marci's proposed warning requirement applies only to religious
employers (and if so, why?  Because they are employers?  Because they are
religious?) or to all whose rights-exercise might cause "harm"?

 Best,

Richard W. Garnett
Professor of Law and Associate Dean
Notre Dame Law School